Monday, September 20, 2010

Zips and Haberdashery


I recently traveled to England. While I was in York, I came across a shop called "Duttons for Buttons: zips and haberdashery." Of course I went in and oh, the buttons! There was a whole wall of them. I could have browsed all afternoon in the buttons. I finally picked some  white and transparent buttons, and payed for them. The young lady at the checkout told me that the ceiling upstairs was really cool. All the old buildings in York (and much of England) have exposed beam ceilings. Many of the buildings in this part of York are from the 13th and 14th centuries and have lots of character. So, I went up the first narrow flight of stairs, and there was more haberdashery! Incidentally, I looked up the word haberdashery and the dictionary said: "Goods sold by a haberdasher." Um, right. So:

Haberdasher: 1. British: a dealer in notions. 2. a dealer in men's clothing and accessories.

Ok, cool. A dealer in notions, I like that. If I could be a dealer in notions from my mind, I could really get somewhere. Anyway, I went up the second narrow flight of stairs and there was more haberdashery, and zips of course, and the ceiling, which was amazing.


Even though I had paid for my buttons, I found a cross stitch project that I liked, so I paid for that, as well as a cross stitch project for my Mother-in-law who also likes to cross stitch. I was really excited to get this project started and I did today! I will update my progress on the project and as the days pass, the suspense will build, and when I am done you will be able to see the final picture!


1 comment: