Sunday, December 6, 2009

"Winterfest"

Well, I had a craft day on Saturday when I had a booth at the Winterfest selling my crocheted items at the local high school. All day, as we sat at our tables full of handiwork, the other crafters and I were serenaded by the local school choirs singing holiday songs. It was heart-warming. My favorite was when the high school show choir sang "Eye of the Tiger." The girls in sparkly dresses, the guys dressed up to the nines, all of them singing their little hearts out and probably wishing that they could have been alive when that song first came out.

I sold a few hats and a scarf, happy knowing people will be warmer. I felt vindicated when elderly women would walk by my table and sort of nod in a way that seemed like they were approving my wares. They did not speak, they would just walk by slowly looking at the things I had made and then nod once, like I was a student at a crafting school for girls and had to prove my skills before I could move to the next level of crafting wisdom.

Sitting at a table all day also gave people the chance to talk to me, to tell me stories. One man asked me about my projects and then told me about how his mother was a wonderful knitter. He told me that people would send her yarn and tell her what to make, she would make it and they would pay her for it. He also told me that his mother would make new pants for the children out of their father's worn out slacks. He told me that when there was no money you just used what you had. He said that the depression in the 1930s raised tough and resourceful men. Men who would later have to fight in World War II. He said we owe them a lot. All this from just selling my hats and listening.

That pretty much sums up "Winterfest."
There's no place like show choir for the holidays.

1 comment: