Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pour Some Sugar On Me




I had read that instead of starch, you can use sugar and water to stiffen things like crocheted snowflakes. The sugar water is better becuase it doesn't yellow over time. so, I tried it in two different applications and it worked! The process was super sticky but it was easy. I just melted the sugar in a pot of water on the stove and then dunked the snowflakes in. I squeezed them out and then blocked them on a piece of cardboard with pins, and waited for them to dry. It took about three days for the small one to really dry which was longer than I thought. The big one took four or five days. The big one was the experiment- instead of cotton I used wool and the snowflake was much bigger. In general, I think cotton will always work better but it's nice to know that wool works too. Now that I write that I realize the nerdieness factor here is at about an nine, but no one can deny the cuteness of crocheted snowflakes.

3 comments:

  1. They are beautiful Kate! I especially love the smaller one. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, they're edible, is what you're saying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, what if crochet were spelled "crotchet"? (I have the humor of a 12 yr old boy)

    ReplyDelete