Friday, April 2, 2010

Heart Murmur


This is my latest fun creation. Here’s the story of how I got the heart. I went to this small, dark and crowded antique store that I always pass by on my way home from work. The building looks somewhat anteekie itself, chipping paint and a battered grand piano on top of the roof. The shop was full of furniture and glass vases, statuettes in cabinets, and lots of paintings, a jungle of a store really. The man who runs it likes to talk politics. He was a real character. He started talking to me while I was walking around the store. At first I thought he was talking to someone else but I was the only one in there. So, I came back and listened to what he had to say. I tend to automatically use my listening skills to their fullest extent, so he had my full attention, until I thought to myself that this could last a long time; he does NOT like republicans, to put it lightly. So, I listened and walked around at the same time, occasionally answering with a “Wow” or a “Yeah – it’s crazy out there.”

Then another woman came into the store. While he welcomed her into the store, I made a break for the back where I found an assortment of junk jewelry and modern pierced earrings. Then I spotted this tarnished heart on a tarnished chain. I thought it would clean up well so I brought it to the front and asked if I could have the heart but not the chain. This threw the guy off a little bit, but we came to a price and I was off to a new project! Time spent shopping: 15 minutes. Time spent listening to shopkeeper: 20 minutes.

To make this necklace I just put some rings together to make a chain, long enough to put over my head without a clasp. I thought the circle rings would complement the circle in the heart. I like how it turned out. It is a great piece for layering with other metal necklaces. That is the current fashion after all!

1 comment: